Investor stream (188B)
Investor stream (188B)
Our experienced team can assist you with your subclass 188B visa application - from lodging the initial Expression of Interest, to completing the visa application, and everything between.
In order to be eligible for an Investor (subclass 188B) visa, you must:
- be under 55 years of age. This requirement may be waived by your nominated state or territory if your proposed investment is deemed to be of exceptional economic benefit.
- score at least 95 points on the points test. Please see the Points test tab on this webpage for further information.
- have a high level of management skill in relation to the eligible investment or qualifying business activity;
- have at least three years' experience of direct involvement in managing one or more qualifying businesses or eligible investments;
- have an overall successful record of eligible investment or qualifying business activity;
- have a genuine and realistic commitment to continuing your business and investment activity in Australia after the original investment has matured; and
- have a genuine intention to live for at least two years in the state or territory in which you have made a designated investment.
Further to these requirements, you and/or your partner must:
- for at least one of the five fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply, have directly managed one of the following:
- a qualifying business in which you and/or your partner held at least 10% ownership interest, or
- eligible investments owned by you and/or your partner combined of at least AUD1.5million;
- during the two fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply, have legally acquired net business, investment and personal assets of at least AUD2.25 million that are available for legal transfer to Australia within two years of the visa being granted;
- make a designated investment of at least AUD1.5 million in a state or territory government security using unencumbered funds accumulated from qualifying businesses or eligible investments; and
- NOTE: you must be prepared to hold this investment for at least four years from date of issue in your nominating state or territory.
- have had no involvement in unacceptable activities.
- As of 4 January 2021, an additional criteria has been applied to new applications. It is required that applicants must make an additional investment of at least AUD$500,000 in Victoria during the provisional visa period. The investment must be held for no less than 24 consecutive months immediately preceding the subclass 888B nomination application. This investment must be directed into Victorian-based Venture Capital fund/s. Investments made prior to Victorian visa nomination cannot be used to meet this criterion.
Income that you earn from your designated investment in Australia is subject to tax under Australian taxation law.